1 cup tur dal
1 cup jaggery
½ cup grated coconut
1 cup maida
A pinch salt
A pinchturmeric powder
Oil for deep frying
1. Cook dal with 3-4 cups water in a simmer till dal becomes tender and Drain the dal.
2. Combine the drained dal with crushed jaggery and grated coconut in a thick bottom pan.cook the mixture till the turns slightly molten. Now add cardamom powder and mix well. Allow the mixture to cool.
3. Grind the mixture in a mixie or food processor without adding water into a smooth.this will becomes filling (hurana) for karjikai
4. In a bowl mix maida,wheat flour, turmeric powder and salt and knead a dough by adding water like chapathi dough.
5. Make a small balls of dough and roll them ina puri. Place a puri on a karjikai maker and put lemon size hurana on one side partition and wet the edges with water and close it and seal it. Remove the extra portion hanging from mould and keep aside.
Repeat the same process.
6. Heat oil in kadai, when it becomes hot , deep fry the karjikai till it turns golden colour.
7. Serve it with ghee.